Bourbon Barrel

jefrey3
Brewmaster

Bourbon Barrel

Post by jefrey3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Corey & I picked up a bourbon barrel in Louisville yesterday on the way to Cincinnati. From the Brewers' Association Forum I saw that some barrels still have quite a bit of bourbon left in them. Unfortunately the one we have only contained 6-8 oz. Online I learned that bourbon is distilled at about 160 proof, aged at about 125 proof & diluted at bottling to 80/100 proof. We enjoyed a 14 year old, cask strength bourbon from Old Charter Distillery this afternoon. I'm ready to get another barrel.

We plan to barrel age some of the smoked porter we brewed for this fall. Most barrel aged beers I have had are dark, but at last years GABF I tasted one made with a light beer. We tried adding some of the bourbon to some Honey Blonde. Everyone who tried it liked it so we will probably make a bourbon blonde after Christmas.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:29 am

Sounds like a fun project Jack, can't wait to taste the results. Where did the barrel come from? Which distillery?
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Justin Rumbach
Brewmaster

Post by Justin Rumbach » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:51 pm

I bet the smoked porter will be great in the barrel, but the blonde? Adding some bourbon may give one result, but aging in oak will be a whole different ballgame IMO.

I say brew an Imperial Stout this spring and age it through the summer - release it next fall and bottle me a case :D
For everyone I haven't met, I used to live in Evansville and was a member of OVHA. After moving home to Jasper, and missing having good friends to brew with, I decided to try to start my own club. I am happy to say that I have been the president of the Dubois County Suds Club since 2006 (although I still miss my OVHA buddies)!

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:25 pm

Speaking of bourbon... if you get the chance, I highly recommend a tour of the Maker's Mark Distillery down in Loretto KY. They give an excellent tour of their small operation and you see it all start to finish. I even dipped my finger into one of the 100 year old open cyprus fermentation vats. When you get to the aging barn, while you're sniffing the angel's share, look for barrel 691973, its mine:
[albumimg]78[/albumimg]

It's a nice drive through traditional rolling hills of the bluegrass/thoroughbred country from Bardstown KY where there are places to stay the night. It's a nice place to visit also. We stayed in the old jail that's converted into a bed and breakfast.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:07 pm

It's scary to think that the next shot of MM I drink could have essence of Norrick implanted into it, I just hope they don't just let anyone stick their fingers in there. Dwayne, stay out of there!