Sooner or later it will happen ...if not already

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Sooner or later it will happen ...if not already

Post by Kenny Lucas » Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 pm

Came home from work with the nice scent of fresh beer coming from the basement. At least I found my airlock. Maybe this is why the old timers used cheesecloth instead of airlocks. Perhaps a blowoff tube may be a good investment.[albumimg]48[/albumimg][albumimg]47[/albumimg][albumimg]46[/albumimg]

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue May 09, 2006 7:54 pm

and break out that little plastic "X" on the bottom of the airlock. It helps some with clogs.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Wed May 10, 2006 11:04 pm

Finally, a good piece of advice from Chris instead of references to acadamy award winning gay brewing films. Thanks.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:44 am

Well, this didn't explode like yours... but what a mess this morning. That Hefe yeast is killer! This is at 62F! Added blow off to both fermenters as the smaller one had krausen to the neck. On the up side, it smelled great! Lots of banana aroma.

[albumimg]64[/albumimg]
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

kbhale
Hophead

Post by kbhale » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I would say get a bucket but I had one of those blow up once. Do you have a big bore. 1 1/4" tubing going to a sanitizer.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:17 am

Only had one piece of big tubing so I added it to the one that hadn't blown yet, good thing because it went up the tube while I was at work. Added a small tube to the little side port of the carboy cap on the big fermenter as I think it was mostly done spewing. That small tube worries me, but both held up overnight. Still lots of co2 coming out.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:35 pm

It finally happened!! Made an amber ale using the yeast from the bottom of a secondary. VIGOROUS fermentation US56 yeast. Blew the airlock to the ceiling along with an impressive amount of krausen. Didn't have any big hose but rigged 3/8 hose and a stopper into a jar of water. Definitely time to invest in a proper blowoff tube :shock:
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Justin Rumbach
Brewmaster

Post by Justin Rumbach » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:48 am

I've used a silicon product called Fermcap with good luck. Add it when the beer first starts fermenting and it will keep the beast in check. It settles out and doesn't affect head retention. It also is great for boilovers. Mmmm, silicon beer.
For everyone I haven't met, I used to live in Evansville and was a member of OVHA. After moving home to Jasper, and missing having good friends to brew with, I decided to try to start my own club. I am happy to say that I have been the president of the Dubois County Suds Club since 2006 (although I still miss my OVHA buddies)!