The Hop Exchange

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

Re: The Hop Exchange

Post by BREWsmith » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 am

sirgiovanni wrote:Done Jeff, for 6 oz of the Styrian pellets.

Chris, is the 3AAU German and is it a 16 oz bag you'd be willing to break up? I have 4 oz of the Centinneal left after Jeff's trade if you want to trade those. I think they qualify as high. :)
Done.
Jeff Smith

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm not 100% sure it's German-grown. I'll check and see what I can find out. If it is I do not mind breaking up the bag.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Seems odd to ask now if 9-10% AA hops are high alpha. Seems not too long ago, Chinook's 11-12% was the crazy high alpha. Now with new cultivars at 18% AA, is Centennial the new medium dual purpose hop?
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:30 pm

That's crazy.
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:44 pm

I copped an oz of Summit a couple of weeks ago that is 18.5%.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Post by Michael Erwin » Tue May 18, 2010 7:32 am

Who needs hops?

Later this week I'm placing an order for hops at Puterbaugh Farms, http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/pellethops.html. Their pellets prices are pretty good. For example, their Styrian Goldings is one of their more expensive hops, and at the 1# quantity, it's $.89/oz.

They are packaged in a good foil bag, and I simply squeeze the air out after getting an ounce or two, seal it with a clothespin, and store them in a freezer.

If anyone wants to piggyback on my order and split the shipping, let me know. I'll place the order around mid-day on Friday.
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Tue May 18, 2010 7:25 pm

I could use a pound of UK Fuggles.
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

dirtyfoot
Boilover Master

Post by dirtyfoot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:17 pm

I have been growing my own hops this year Cascades did very well propably more than I will need. I got one type of hop that grows better and faster than the Cascade but not sure what type it is has a great aroma and quite large and abundant cones on it. Does anyone Know of a way to tell the type or is it a guessing game and process of elimination?

I am also growing some Pride of Ringwood,Hallertauer, Fuggles, and Goldings.

Cascade are the most abundant this year with a few Prides and some Hallertauer.

Fuggles and Goldings are in the first year growth so maybe better next year.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:10 am

dirtyfoot wrote: I got one type of hop that grows better and faster than the Cascade but not sure what type it is has a great aroma and quite large and abundant cones on it. Does anyone Know of a way to tell the type or is it a guessing game and process of elimination?
Probably a guessing game, but if it is one you planted/got from mail order supply, it should be a process of elimination. Follow this link http://freshops.com/hop-growing/rhizome ... riety_list
Just taking a guess for this area and what grows as well as Cascade, but with large cones, you might have Centennial, or Magnum.
.....I'm gonna be one!

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 am

I think it is almost time to harvest the hops, I need to vacuum seal them without buying a vacuum packer, does anyone have any suggestions for that? Also.. fresh (wet) hop brewing? Ive been thinking about it, but have heard that using fresh hops makes your beer taste like cut grass. From what I've read there are"two things to remember when using fresh (wet) hops: Use them within 48 hours of picking and plan on 5-8 times as much by weight as you would dried hops." Any experiences?
Sky B.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:35 pm

SkyBrew wrote:" Any experiences?
I made a wet hop ale in December that I used my homegrown hops in. After picking I vacuum packed them and stuck them in the freezer. I used the entire harvest of Centennial and Cascades for the year. Something like 2 1/2 # of hops. I I figured their alpha's 1-2 pts lower than their average low, and used basic 5 oz wet = 1 oz dry. I didn't dry hop with them, only used in the boil, and figured to use all I had on hand for the latest flavor, and aroma hopping additions.
There wasn't the grassy notes that I thought there would be with the hop mass. I will follow this same procedure again.
.....I'm gonna be one!

dirtyfoot
Boilover Master

Post by dirtyfoot » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:19 pm

john mills wrote:
dirtyfoot wrote: I got one type of hop that grows better and faster than the Cascade but not sure what type it is has a great aroma and quite large and abundant cones on it. Does anyone Know of a way to tell the type or is it a guessing game and process of elimination?
Probably a guessing game, but if it is one you planted/got from mail order supply, it should be a process of elimination. Follow this link http://freshops.com/hop-growing/rhizome ... riety_list
Just taking a guess for this area and what grows as well as Cascade, but with large cones, you might have Centennial, or Magnum.

Thanks for the help. Going to do some more research and try to figure them out

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hop Harvestin' Today!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sky B.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Nice!
.....I'm gonna be one!

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Post by Michael Erwin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Not exactly a hop exchange issue, but of interest, perhaps you received this email, too:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... LRPQ%3D%3D

The upshot of this is: no pre-orders, there will be limits on ordering.

I highly recommend these folks. If you're planning on buying hops this year or next, I'd recommend you go ahead and make your order now.

Several of us have gone together in the past to save on shipping.
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!