Attenuation Issues

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Re: Attenuation Issues

Post by SkyBrew » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

My gut instinct is telling me the brand of grain you are using doesn't matter.

Are you hitting your targeted original gravity? If so the grain would seem to be doing its job.

Usually under attenuation occurs on the fermentation side of the process.

A couple of questions:
1. what strain of yeast are you using?
2. are you pitching enough yeast?
3. what temperature are you fermenting at?
4. are you oxygenating your wort and using yeast nutrient?
5. how long are you fermenting?
6. you said you have a new hydrometer.. have you tried measuring with another device like a refractometer?
7. What temperature are you pitching your yeast at?
8. any off flavors?
Sky B.

damianwinter
Hophead

Re: Attenuation Issues

Post by damianwinter » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

If your basing your attenuation off what on the yeast profile. It's a estimation of attenuation not always true. Fact is that your wort composition is what determines part of your attenuation. To get your max attenuation of your yeast and your wort you will need to do a force ferment test to get accurate results. As sky mentioned some other reasons for for low attenuation. Here is two other things to consider with wort composition. First check to see if your thermometer is accurate. High mash temps creates unfermentible sugars causing a higher final gravity. Second amount of roasted and crystal malts in your recipe these also have a determining factor of your final gravity. Wort composition is very important. I recommend doing a force ferment test of your recipe to find out what your true attenuation is for the yeast..